Wineglass Bay & Freycinet Day Tour from Hobart
Walk to the Wineglass Bay lookout to see one of the “World’s Top 10 beaches”. Join us for this action-packed huge day out exploring the very best of Tasmania’s East Coast. We enjoy a variety of short walks, National Park coastal scenery & delicious local food opportunities along the way (local oysters, berries, ice-creams and hand-made chocolates).
Wineglass Bay is nestled in the Freycinet National Park on the East Coast of Tasmania. One of Tasmania’s first National Parks this is a coastal area rich in stunning landscapes. Pink granite mountains form the backdrop for secluded bays, pristine waters, white sandy beaches, local wildlife and walking trails.
- Explore Freycinet National Park
- Walk to the spectacular Wineglass Bay Lookout (moderate uphill walk 45 mins)
- Choose the option to extend your walk to the white sands of Wineglass Bay
- Visit the highlights of Freycinet National Park - Honeymoon Bay & Sleepy Bay
- Take in the spectacular 360 degree views on the Cape Tourville Lighthouse Walk (easy 20 mins)
- Enjoy some fresh oysters at Freycinet Marine Farm
- Reward yourself with a tasty ice-cream at Kate’s Berry Farm – delicious!
- Check out the unusual convict built Spiky Bridge
- Central Hobart Hotel & Backpacker Hostel pick up and drop off
We depart Hobart heading east then following the coastline north, with amazing views of Maria Island and the coastal scenery along the way. We travel through the seaside towns of Orford and Swansea as we make our way to Freycinet National Park.
As we enter the Freycinet peninsula, we have a brief stop at the Freycinet Marine Farm for anyone interested in the local oysters, mussels or crayfish fresh from the surrounding waters.
We walk as a group to the Wineglass Bay Lookout, this is a moderate uphill walk of around 45 minutes. Once at the top you are rewarded with that world - famous view of Wineglass Bay and the stunning Freycinet National Park. Enjoy the moment, take in the views and let our guides help you with those sought after photographs. The walk to Wineglass Bay Lookout is one of the Great Short Walks of Tasmania and requires good mobility and adequate fitness. It is 1.3 km uphill, before returning downhill. Sturdy footwear / runners are best suited for this walk.
From the Lookout you have the option to return to the start of the walk with our tour guide, or for the keen hikers you can choose to spend the rest of your time completing the walk down to Wineglass Bay beach.
Wineglass Bay Beach Walk - This is a 2.5 hr return walk and adequate fitness is required. Our tour has ample time for you to do the full walk to Wineglass Bay Beach and return. Once on the beach you can enjoy your lunch in this stunning setting, jump in the pristine (albeit chilly!) waters for a swim, or wander along the white sands. This is one of the most rewarding walks in Tasmania to a stunning location.
If you prefer to select the shorter walking option, then we return from the Wineglass Bay Lookout with our Tour Guide and explore other areas of Freycinet National Park. Visit Honeymoon Bay, Cape Tourville Lighthouse & Great Short Walk, Sleepy Bay lookout.
After around 4 hours at Freycinet National Park we re-group ready to begin the trip back to Hobart.
We make a final stop for the day, while still on the East Coast, refresh and refuel and for those looking for a sweet treat there will be tasty local ice-cream and desserts available, a well deserved reward after a full day out!. This is a great way to finish the day, before we settle in for the drive home.
We return to your Hobart central city accommodation around 6.00-6.30pm.
Departure times & locations
- Departs: Hobart 7.30am. Hotel pickup time is between 7 AM and 7:30 AM depending on your location. Hotel pickup is available from central city Hotels and Hostels (no AirBnB’s).
- Returns: Hobart accommodations 7.00pm. You will be returned to your original pickup location. Airport Drop Offs around 6.00 – 6.30pm – available only with arrangement at time of booking
- Days: Daily except Sunday
Your day at a glance:
- Begin from Hobart heading east then following the coastline north. Travel through the seaside towns of Orford and Swansea. Enjoy a brief stop at Spiky Bridge, a convict built bridge, the picturesque Spiky Beach and then on into the National Park.
- Keen walkers can walk down to Wineglass Beach (2.5 hr return walking time), enjoy a swim in the pristine waters, relax and have lunch in this amazing setting. Alternatively, travel with your guide to discover more of the National Park and visit Honeymoon Bay, Sleepy Bay and the Cape Tourville lookout and short walk.
- After 4–5 hours at Freycinet, begin the trip back to Hobart. Enjoy a brief stop at the Freycinet Marine Farm for anyone interested in sampling the local oysters, mussels or crayfish fresh from the pristine waters of Oyster Bay and surrounds. Last but certainly not least, stop at picturesque Kate’s Berry Farm where Kate is serving up absolutely delicious berry ice-creams and other delights - jams, sauces, chocolates and jellies.
Things To Bring
- Sensible shoes for day touring
- A variety of warm clothing
- Weatherproof jacket if possible
- Hat, sunscreen
- Water Bottle, Snacks, Lunch (or buy it on the day)
Minimum age to participate in tour is 8 years. Participants aged 8 – 17 years travel at concession prices.
- This is an active tour with walking involved; a suitable level of general health & fitness and physical abilities is essential
- We provide accurate interpretation, and keep wildlife disturbance to a minimum by viewing from appropriate distances and informing our guests how to view wildlife with patience and respect. Activities are always confined to tracks and boardwalks to minimize negative impacts.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 19 travelers
Instant Booking & Mobile Friendly Tickets
Check availability & book here to secure you spot on Wineglass Bay & Freycinet Day Tour from Hobart. Pre-booking is essential. Please do not turn up on the day without a booking.
If you require hotel transfers please have your hotel name ready when booking so we can send you a pick-up time with your confirmation.
Departs: Hobart 7.30am. Hotel pickup time is between 7 AM and 7:30 AM depending on your location. Hotel pickup is available from central city Hotels and Hostels.