Wineglass Bay Day Tour & Beach Walk from Hobart
Hike to Wineglass Bay Beach and enjoy one of Australia's most celebrated and picture perfect walks and locations! Freycinet National Park is a hiker's delight! We enjoy a variety of short walks, National Park coastal scenery & delicious local food opportunities along the way (local oysters, berries, ice-creams and hand-made chocolates).
Wineglass Bay is nestled in the Freycinet National Park on the East Coast of Tasmania. One of Tasmania’s first National Parks this is a coastal area rich in stunning landscapes. Pink granite mountains form the backdrop for secluded bays, pristine waters, white sandy beaches, local wildlife and walking trails.
- Explore Freycinet National Park
- Walk to the Wineglass Bay Lookout
- Visit Wineglass Bay Beach
- Enjoy some fresh oysters at Freycinet Marine Farm
- Reward yourself with a tasty ice-cream at Kate’s Berry Farm – delicious!
- Central Hobart Hotel & Backpacker Hostel pick up and drop off
Freycinet National Park is a hiker's delight! With a network of trails ranging from 10 minutes to 10 days. The premier walk here is to the Wineglass Bay Lookout and then onwards to the Wineglass Bay Beach. One of Tasmania's most celebrated walks and locations!
We depart Hobart heading east to the beautiful eastern coastline of Tasmania. We pass through the seaside towns of Orford and Swansea as we make our way north to Freycinet National Park. Freycinet is one of Tasmania’s first National Parks, famous for its rich and stunning coastal landscapes. Pink Granite Mountains form the backdrop for secluded bays, pristine waters, white sandy beaches, local wildlife, and amazing walking trails. As we enter the Freycinet peninsula, we have a brief stop at the Freycinet Marine Farm for anyone interested in the local oysters fresh from the surrounding waters then it's onwards to get our hike underway.
The first half of the walk today is to the Wineglass Bay Lookout. You can choose to walk to the lookout with our Tour Guide at a leisurely pace and enjoy the interpretation and discussion along the way, or walk at your own pace and make the most of the time you have in this magical area. The uphill walk to the lookout should take around 45 minutes and from here you are well rewarded with views across the Bay. From the lookout, it's a fairly steep downhill hike to reach the beach where you can walk barefoot along the white sand.
The total length of the Wineglass Bay lookout and beach trail return is 6 km and usually takes around 2.5 hours of walk time. We normally have around 3.5 - 4 hours for the activity - which gives you plenty of time for the main trail and then time to explore the beach as well. The 20-minute walk to the southern end of the beach is fantastic for those amazing views of The Hazards mountains. Or, take the time to enjoy your lunch, relax, and on those summer days - there is time for a swim in the clear blue waters!
The return walk is a uphill hike back up to the Lookout, then downhill back to the start of the walking trail, where our Tour Guide will meet you.
We re-group ready for the return journey to Hobart. While still on the East Coast we will make a short stop along the way, for those looking for a sweet treat and to refresh and refuel, there will be tasty local ice-cream and desserts available, a well deserved reward after a full day out!
We return to your Hobart City accommodation around 6.00 - 6.30pm.
Departure times & locations
- Departs: Hobart 7.30am. Hotel pickup time is between 7 AM and 7:30 AM depending on your location. Hotel pickup is available from central city Hotels and Hostels (no AirBnB’s).
- Returns: Hobart accommodations 7.00pm. You will be returned to your original pickup location. Airport Drop Offs around 6.00 – 6.30pm – available only with arrangement at time of booking
Your day at a glance:
- Begin from Hobart heading east then following the coastline north. Travel through the seaside towns of Orford and Swansea to Freycinet National Park. Enjoy a brief stop at Freycinet Marine Farm for anyone interested in the local oysters fresh from the surrounding waters.
- Keen walkers can walk down to Wineglass Beach (2.5 hr return walking time), enjoy a swim in the pristine waters, relax and have lunch in this amazing setting. Alternatively, travel with your guide to discover more of the National Park and visit Honeymoon Bay, Sleepy Bay and the Cape Tourville lookout and short walk.
- After 4–5 hours at Freycinet, begin the trip back to Hobart. Enjoy a brief stop at the Freycinet Marine Farm for anyone interested in sampling the local oysters, mussels or crayfish fresh from the pristine waters of Oyster Bay and surrounds. Last but certainly not least, stop at picturesque Kate’s Berry Farm where Kate is serving up absolutely delicious berry ice-creams and other delights - jams, sauces, chocolates and jellies.
Things To Bring
- Walking shoes
- A variety of warm clothing
- Weatherproof jacket if possible
- Hat, sunscreen
- Water Bottle, Snacks, Lunch (or buy it on the day)
Minimum age to participate in tour is 8 years. Participants aged 8 – 17 years travel at concession prices.
- This is an active tour with walking involved; a suitable level of general health & fitness and physical abilities is essential
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 19 travelers
Instant Booking & Mobile Friendly Tickets
Check availability & book here to secure you spot on Wineglass Bay Beach Hike from Hobart. Pre-booking is essential. Please do not turn up on the day without a booking.
If you require hotel transfers please have your hotel name ready when booking so we can send you a pick-up time with your confirmation.
Departs: Hobart 7.30am. Hotel pickup time is between 7 AM and 7:30 AM depending on your location. Hotel pickup is available from central city Hotels and Hostels.
Returns: Hobart accommodations 7.00pm. You will be returned to your original pickup location. Airport Drop Offs around 6.00 – 6.30pm – available only with arrangement at time of booking